Clomipramine is a leading tricyclic antidepressant that is commonly used in the treatment of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and other phobia disorders. The active ingredient in Anfranil®, Clomipramine works to restore chemical balance in the brain by enhancing mood-lightening compounds, resulting in a more stable state of mind, and an enhanced quality of life.
Clomipramine may also be marketed as: Anafranil
Clomipramine is a tricyclic antidepressant. It affects chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced. Clomipramine is used to treat symptoms of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) such as recurrent thoughts or feelings and repetitive actions.
Follow all directions on your prescription label. Your doctor may occasionally change your dose to make sure you get the best results. Do not take this medicine in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
Take clomipramine with food to reduce stomach upset.
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Report any new or worsening symptoms to your doctor, such as: mood or behavior changes, anxiety, panic attacks, trouble sleeping, or if you feel impulsive, irritable, agitated, hostile, aggressive, restless, hyperactive (mentally or physically), more depressed, or have thoughts about suicide or hurting yourself.
Call your doctor at once if you have:
- rapid heart rate, tremors or shaking;
- confusion, extreme fear, thoughts of hurting yourself;
- agitation, hallucinations, fever, overactive reflexes, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of coordination, fainting;
- painful or difficult urination;
- very stiff (rigid) muscles;
- seizure (convulsions), or
- tired feeling, weakness, easy bruising or bleeding (nosebleed, bleeding gums), pale skin, feeling light-headed or short of breath.
Avoid drinking alcohol. It can cause dangerous side effects when taken together with clomipramine.
This medication may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert.
You should not take this medication if you are being treated with methylene blue injection.
Taking clomipramine with other drugs that make you sleepy or slow your breathing can increase these effects. Ask your doctor before taking clomipramine with a sleeping pill, narcotic pain medicine, muscle relaxer, or medicine for anxiety, depression, or seizures.
Before taking clomipramine, tell your doctor if you have used an "SSRI" antidepressant in the past 5 weeks, such as citalopram, escitalopram, fluoxetine (Prozac), fluvoxamine, paroxetine (Paxil), sertraline (Zoloft), trazodone, or vilazodone (Viibryd).
Many drugs can interact with clomipramine. Not all possible interactions are listed here. Tell your doctor about all your medications and any you start or stop using during treatment with clomipramine, especially:
- St. John's wort;
- anti-malaria medication;
- a barbiturate such as phenobarbital or secobarbital;
- bladder or urinary medicines such as darifenacin, fesoterodine, oxybutynin, tolterodine, solifenacin;
- bronchodilators such as ipratropium or tiotropium;
- cold or allergy medicine, stimulants, or ADHD medication;
- cough medicine that contains dextromethorphan;
- heart or blood pressure medication;
- medication to treat an infection caused by fungus;
- medication to treat HIV or AIDS;
- medication to treat excess stomach acid, stomach ulcer, motion sickness, or irritable bowel disease;
- medication for Parkinson's disease, such as ropinirole (Requip);
- medicine to treat depression or mental illness; or
- thyroid medication.
This list is not complete and many other drugs can interact with clomipramine.
Never exceed the recommended dosage of Clomipramine. Missed doses should be taken as soon as the users remembers, however if it almost time for the next dosage, skip the missed dose and revert back to normal schedule. Do not take more than 2 doses of Clomipramine in one instance.
Store at room temperature between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 to 30 degrees C). Do not store in the bathroom. Store at room temperature in a closed container protected from heat, light and moisture.Keep clomipramine away from children and pets. Always dispose of medicines safely.