Generic Kemadrin (Procyclidine hydrochloride) reduces the effects of certain chemicals in your body that may become unbalanced as a result of disease, drug therapy, or other causes. Generic Kemadrin is one of the most prescribed medications for Parkinson's disease symptoms and now you can order it for a fraction of its regular price!
Generic Kemadrin is also marketed as Procyclidine Hydrochloride.
*Kemadrin® is manufactured by GlaxoSmithKline NZ Ltd.
Generic Kemadrin is used to treat the stiffness, tremors, spasms, and poor muscle control of Parkinson's disease. It is also used to treat and prevent these same muscular conditions when they are caused by drugs such as chlorpromazine (Thorazine), fluphenazine (Prolixin), perphenazine (Trilafon), and others.
Generic Kemadrin tablets contain the active ingredient procyclidine hydrochloride, which is a type of medicine called an anticholinergic. Anticholinergic medicines (sometimes also called antimuscarinics) work by preventing the activity of a neurotransmitter called acetylcholine.
Take Generic Kemadrin exactly as directed by your doctor. If you do not understand these directions, ask your pharmacist, nurse, or doctor to explain them to you.
Take each dose with a full glass of water.
Take Generic Kemadrin after meals to lessen stomach upset.
Generic Kemadrin is usually taken three to four times a day. Follow your doctor's instructions.
If you experience any of the following serious side effects, stop taking Generic Kemadrin and seek emergency medical attention:
an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of your throat; swelling of your lips, tongue, or face; or hives);
- unusual fever;
- fast or irregular heartbeat;
- anxiety, hallucinations, confusion, hyperactivity, or loss of consciousness;
- agitation, disorientation, or unusual behavior;
- eye pain; or
- a rash.
Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to take Generic Kemadrin and talk to your doctor if you experience
- a dry mouth,
- large pupils or blurred vision,
- difficulty urinating or constipation,
- upset stomach, or
- decreased sweating.
Side effects other than those listed here may also occur.
Use caution when driving, operating machinery, or performing other hazardous activities. Generic Kemadrin may cause dizziness or blurred vision. If you experience dizziness or blurred vision, avoid these activities.
Use alcohol cautiously. Alcohol may increase drowsiness and dizziness while you are taking Generic Kemadrin.
Avoid becoming overheated. Generic Kemadrin may cause decreased sweating. This could lead to heat stroke in hot weather or with vigorous exercise. Try to keep as cool as possible and watch for signs of heat stroke such as decreased sweating, nausea, and dizziness.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all medicines you are taking especially any of the following:
- a tricyclic antidepressant (used to treat depression, pain, or obsessive-compulsive disorders) such as amitriptyline (Elavil, Endep), doxepin (Sinequan), or clomipramine (Anafranil);
- other commonly used tricyclic antidepressants, including amoxapine (Asendin), desipramine (Norpramin), imipramine (Tofranil), Generic Nortriptyline (Pamelor), and protriptyline (Vivactil);
- a phenothiazine (used to treat mania, schizophrenia, other psychiatric conditions, and nausea and vomiting) chlorpromazine (Thorazine), fluphenazine (Prolixin), perphenazine (Trilafon), mesoridazine (Serentil), thioridazine (Mellaril), promazine (Sparine), trifluoperazine (Stelazine), and others;
- an antihistamine such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl, others), chlorpheniramine (Chlor-Trimeton, others), triprolidine (Actifed, others), brompheniramine (Dimetapp, others), clemastine (Tavist), and others, (antihistamines are often found in prescription and over-the-counter cold, allergy, and sleep medicines);
- quinidine (Quinora, Quinaglute, Quinidex, Cardioquin);
- amantadine (Symmetrel)
- digoxin (Lanoxin, Lanoxicaps); or
- haloperidol (Haldol).
Drugs other than those listed here may also interact with Generic Kemadrin.
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and only take your next regularly scheduled dose. Do not take a double dose of this medication.
Store Generic Kemadrin at room temperature away from moisture and heat.